The American College of Surgeons (ACS) has recognized Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) as one of the top 25 hospitals audited under its inaugural Quality Audit Program (QVP). The WRNMMC was the only Department of Defense facility to achieve ACS quality verification.
The ACS announced the 25 hospitals, 22 in the United States and three international facilities, that obtained verification last month.
“The ACS QVP provides a proven, standardized method for establishing, measuring and improving a hospital’s quality infrastructure across all surgical departments,” the ACS said in the release announcing the facilities gaining recognition.
“Recognized QVP Centers include a variety of institutions, such as large and medium-sized community, academic, public safety net, military, and small/rural hospitals, among others. These facilities were selected to help ensure that ACS QVP can be tailored to unique hospital circumstances and provide personalized and actionable feedback to a wide range of hospitals,” the statement added.
“A hospital that chooses to participate in QVP has made a commitment to quality and quality improvement that permeates all aspects of patient care,” added Navy Cmdr. (Dr.) Eric H. Twerdahl, Surgeon in the Division of Vascular Surgery at WRNMMC and current Surgical Quality Manager at Walter Reed Bethesda.
Twerdahl explained that to be verified, a facility “must, through self-reported information and a confirming site visit, demonstrate a strong commitment to the 12 QVP standards.” These standards include:
• Management commitment and commitment to ensure surgical quality and safety
• A designated Surgical Quality Manager (SQO)
• A Surgical Quality and Safety Committee
• A culture of safety and high reliability
• Standardized processes and sufficient resources to collect, analyze and review clinically relevant data to monitor and identify quality and safety issues
• Continuous data-driven quality improvement
• A standardized and documented process for the formal retrospective review of cases
• A formal peer review process to monitor and resolve quality and safety issues at the individual surgeon level
• Meaningful and thorough processes for accreditation and granting of privileges
• Standardized, team-based processes across the continuum of surgical care
• Standardized, evidence-based multidisciplinary management of specific diseases
• Compliance with regulatory performance measures at the hospital level
Twerdahl explained that although achieving the ACS QVP required a team effort, “Retired Air Force Col. (Dr.) Peter Learn, Surgical Quality Officer Emeritus, was singularly instrumental. ” Learn was also an associate professor of surgery at Uniformed Services University.
The key principles of the ACS QVP are based on self-reported information, surgical quality data, interviews with key members of the hospital management team, data monitoring, and standardized processes and systems that detect , solve and prevent problems in order to improve quality and safety. surgical patient care, Twerdahl explained.
“[ACS QVP] status sends a very clear message to our teammates, patients, and military and civilian partners in the region and across the country that our hospital is committed to quality and quality improvement,” Twerdahl said. “Walter Reed expects to play a leadership and mentoring role for other military health system installations seeking verification,” he added.
ACS launched QVP in July 2021. “We are thrilled to recognize our first 25 verified hospitals and are excited to expand QVP to more and more hospitals across the country and around the world,” said Dr. Clifford Y. Ko, director of ACS’s Division of Research and Optimal Patient Care. “Equally important, now that we have this first network of 25, they will be able to learn from each other and teach others how to embark on this quality journey,” Ko added.
|Date posted:||08.02.2022 13:54|
This work, WRNMMC First DOD Facility to Achieve New Quality Audit Status from American College of Surgeonsby Bernard Smallidentified by DVDmust follow the restrictions listed at https://www.dvidshub.net/about/copyright.