EWA BEACH, Hawaii (KHON2) – Several residents of Kapilina Beach Homes, located in Iroquois Point, have complained of negative reactions after using the water two weeks ago.
Two members of the same household had to go to hospital after experiencing rashes and other reactions after showering.
Get the latest Hawaii morning news delivered to your inbox, sign up for News 2 You
On Thursday, December 9, the Hawaii Department of Health and Navy collected samples from several homes in Kapilina Beach Homes.
No update was given until the U.S. military added Iroquois Point to its list of affected areas. In a Facebook post on the US Army Garrison Hawaii website, an update wrote: “As of December 11, 2021, the General Commander of the US Army Pacific added Iroquois Point to the list of affected areas. Army personnel and their authorized dependents have all rights authorized under the evacuation authorization. “
The Navy and the state’s health department did not say whether test results had been received.
An email sent by Kapilina Beach Homes to residents on Sunday December 12 said:
“We have been made aware of the update released by US Army Garrison Hawaii to include Iroquois Point in their affected areas so our community can receive resources. We are working directly with U.S. Army officials to communicate details to all residents, military and civilians, as soon as possible. Please stay tuned. “
But civilians and veterans alike said they had to find it all for themselves.
Chris Anton and his three children live in Kapilina. They are not entitled to additional resources as she is not an active duty dependent.
Her 15 and 17-year-old daughters were in perfect health a few weeks ago, were active and played sports. Today, one of her healthy children can barely walk due to accidental oil poisoning.
She said on December 4, she reported having a fuel-related health issue on December 3 and reported it to the DOH, the EOC Navy and Kapilina Beach Homes.
According to Anton, she took a shower on Friday, December 3 and was covered in oil and her water did not smell while she showered. She had to re-clean with a water bottle tilted over her sink.
She said she was dehydrated, had a dry mouth and had a headache. His eyes were burning. She had diarrhea and felt tired. She said her bathroom reeked of fuel and smelled of chemicals about 20 minutes after showering.
Her 17-year-old son took a shower on Friday morning and reported bowel problems.
Anton said his pets got sick from the water bowl using filtered water.
The next morning, Saturday December 4, all his taps smelled of fuel.
She said she had avoided water for a week and ended up in the emergency room with her 15-year-old daughter on Friday, December 10.
Her 15-year-old daughter could not walk and suffered tremendously from contractions and leg cramps. Anton said the pain spread to his hips and ribs and had to be carried by his older brother from room to room.
The doctor diagnosed Anton and his daughter with accidental oil poisoning from hydrocarbon toxicity and told them to leave the house and, if they could not, wear n95 masks inside the house. ; cover the taps, open the windows and do not use the water.
Anton said she had not used the water since December 3. She said the doctor told her that the headache, difficulty breathing, itchy skin, irritability, brain fog, dry cotton mouth could be due to a chemical burn or exposure to ingested fuel and breathing fumes.
She wrote on Facebook: “My house is poisonous, the Navy is my water supplier, I live in a former Navy accommodation, my water bill is on my monthly rent from private Kapilina, and they pay the Navy. . Whenever we have had water issues in the past, only Navy NAVAC has come to fix it or referred us to their Facebook site for updates during the repair. We need basic needs to be met. Then we need to collect the deposits to move to a new location. We need accommodation, water and showers. None of this is correct. Poison people with an oil leak, then force them to fend for themselves.
Anton said she had not received any help from the military, navy, state or Kapilina Beach Homes.
She shared a video of her five-year-old daughter crying on Saturday December 11 after using cold water bottles as a shower, and said all she wanted for Christmas was clean water and a new house.
On Thursday, December 9, KHON2 interviewed 17-year-old Jayden Bonilla, who had a severe reaction after showering at his home at Kapilina Beach Homes two weeks earlier. He hasn’t used the water since, but was surprised his uncle, who lives with him and is a veteran, was denied new accommodation.
“We’re told we can’t have accommodation, just stay there, find yours because only active duty has hotels and houses,” Bonilla said when asked the military where they were. should go if their homes are under the affected water area. too much.
The state health department has told residents of Kapilina Beach Homes not to use the water.
The results of the Navy and Department of Health tests have yet to be released.
State Senator Kurt Fevella (right) Ewa Beach, Iroquois Point, Ewa Villages said it was wrong to only look after certain families in an affected area.
“I feel helpless,” he said, crying. “I can’t help these families, it’s so frustrating to get calls at 5 in the morning asking ‘What are we going to do? What are we going to do? My son is sick, my daughter is throwing up. I have trouble sleeping.
Senator Fevella begged Governor David Ige to issue a declaration of emergency, calling the situation an emergency and not a crisis.
Governor Ige’s office said in an email:
“The decision to declare a federal emergency rests with the federal government, which has primary responsibility and authority over this system, which is owned and operated by the US Navy.
We are awaiting news from the GA office on what a declaration of a state of emergency might accomplish in this situation, as this falls under federal jurisdiction.
The US military said in an email that it had issued an emergency evacuation clearance. The authorization is not an evacuation order and the authorization allows military personnel and their families to have access to all financial rights, as stated in the authorization. As a precaution, the US Army recommends that Army personnel do not use water in their homes in affected areas.
Find out what’s happening in the country on our national news page
The US military has confirmed that the area includes Kapilina Beach Homes and the clearance grants rights to soldiers, DA civilians, and their families.
The military said civilians should contact the city and county of Honolulu for further assistance.